LEARN THE LANGUAGE
OF THE MODERN WORLD
Front-End Development Skills Bootcamp for West Midlands residents
Skills Bootcamp in Front-End Development for West Midlands (Specific Areas)
Equip yourself with the in-demand digital skills and if you’re looking to switch careers, we’ll put you forward to a guaranteed job interview upon completion. All equivalent to level 3 course (A-level)
What are Skills Bootcamps?
Skills Bootcamps are flexible courses of up to maximum 16 weeks, giving people the opportunity to build up sector-specific skills and fast-track to an interview with a local employer.
This Skills Bootcamp is 100% funded for the West Midlands & Thames Valley residents only from:
- Birmingham: Alum Rock, Erdington, Glebe Farm and Tile cross, Kingstanding , Aston, Newtown, Ward end, Bordersley Green and Small heath
- Coventry: Foleshill, Henly, and Willenhall
- Solihull: Lyndin, North Solihull areas and Shirley
- Walsall: Birchills Leamore, Blakenall, Pleck Walsall, and Willenhall South
- Wolverhampton: Bliston East, East Park, St Peters, Heath Town and Fallings Park
- Thames Valley Berkshire
In order to get the funding, you must be:
- Unemployed or underemployed
- 19+ years old
- Have to be British or UK residents (those on work visas, dependent visas, student visas or work permits are not eligible)
- Be able to commit to the 16 weeks Skills Bootcamp
- Must complete an initial assessment (Math & English) prior to being accepted on the program
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ARE UNFORTUNATELY NOT ELIGIBLE
Who is it for:
Anyone looking to get into Software Development
Important: you must meet eligibility criteria
- Basic IT skill
- No coding experience is required
- A functional computer/laptop.
You don't need to install the software beforehand; all the installation will take place on the Installfest during your first session.
No prepwork is required, including any installation (which will commence during the Installfest on your first session)
During this Skills Bootcamp you'll learn:
- Installfest and Intro to Frontend Development
- Developing webpages using HTML,
- Styling webpages using CSS,
- API call and JSON, developing
- SPA(Single Page Application) using React
- Learn general programming priciples;
- understand how browsers work and how webpages load;
- path to learn ahead and make a career as a front-end developer;
- a community to feel supported in your web development journey ahead
Core tools and technologies:
- Git and GitHub,
- Presentation skills
- Portfolio development
- Employability and interview skills
- CV writing and LinkedIn visibility skills
- Communication skills
- Soft skills such as – team work, empathy, problem solving, critical thinking
If you're unemployed or looking to switch careers, we'll put you forward to a guaranteed interview upon completion, support you with preparation, write references, and also refer you to our partners and employers to maximize your chances of landing a job.
You'll also have a chance to attend:
- Linkedin Session
- CV & Interview Prep session
- The project will be agreed with the teacher
You will be able to add a capstone project to your profile which will be evaluated based on the presentation on the last day of the Skills Bootcamp.
We deliver live virtual sessions via Microsoft Teams. The tools the students need are:
- a laptop or a computer,
- a good internet connection,
- tablets and phones are not conducive to undertaking the sessions.
- Skills Bootcamp completion certificate from Purple Beard Training
- Access to our Alumni
- you will also have a chance to take optional exams from W3cschools (HTML, CSS, JS for free) and receive an additional certificate
This can be considered the foundation to all web-based engineer and developer careers. By the end of this Skills Bootcamp, you can expect to apply for junior roles as a Frontend Web Developer or a Front End Engineer.
You will also be primed for further education. Think of this as the foundation for your Digital Career, the possibilities are vast and constantly expanding:
Software Engineer, Full-Stack Engineer, Full-Stack Software Engineer, Full-Stack Architect, UI/UX Developer, Data Engineer, Data Analyst, DevOps Engineer, Front-end Quality Assurance Engineer (QA Engineer), Mobile App Developer, Technical Writer, SCRUM Master, Apprenticeships in Software Development Level 3 and 4 or DevOps
Skills Bootcamps are funded by the European Union Social Fund in 100% for those living or employed in certain regions (West Midlands & Thames Valley Berkshire). Please see our funding & eligibility box above for more details.
If you’re from the area that has 100% funding – then yes, Skills Bootcamp is completely free!
1. Fill out our Initial Interest Form – please keep in mind filling out this form does not automatically enrol you for the Skills Bootcamp yet.
2. You’ll receive a confirmation email with an option to book a call with us at the most convenient time for you. If you don’t do it, we will call you ourselves within 2 days – we will then check your eligibility, confirm your interest and answer any questions you might have.
3. Complete the Assessment
4. Fill out the Enrolment Form – and once this is done, you’re in!
5. Onboarding, induction and pre-learning – we will send you everything before the Skills Bootcamp
6. Skills Bootcamps commences -have fun!
You don’t need a technical background to join our Skills Bootcamps! However, you do need to be able to attend every week, demonstrate a good level of communication and problem-solving skills and to want to progress in your current, or into a new career.
It is our aim to ensure learners are work-ready and prepared for a job in their chosen area of tech upon course completion, so reskilling or upskilling to get a new job, or advance in your current role should be your goal! In addition, we want our learners to have fun, be sociable and create a community with their peers and alumni.
We expect 3 things from our students:
- be (extremely) motivated,
- be curious,
- be social
- If this sounds like you, then we’ll be more than happy to have you on board if you pass all the selection process.
All you will need to attend is a laptop or desktop computer. It is preferable for this to have a working camera and mic, for you to get the most out of the virtual sessions. In the first session of the Skills Bootcamp we always have an ‘InstallFest’ to ensure you’ve got any software you may need.
Previous learners have also found that having two screens is really beneficial, so you can complete tasks while following along with the teacher. This could be a second computer screen or TV attached with an HDMI cable, or using a tablet as your second screen.
Purple Beard Skills Bootcamps are designed to make learners work-ready from the week of course completion- and Employability is a huge part of the service we offer.
When the Skills Bootcamp ends, you will benefit from our Employability Services where you’ll have the opportunity to work 1:1 with our Employability Coach, to help you build your portfolio and your Linkedin profile.
We can also help you prepare for technical interviews, connect you with recruiters and we’ll put you in touch with our amazing Alumni, who will share their experiences from life after the Skills Bootcamp.
GAIN THE MOST IN-DEMAND SKILLS
WITHOUT LEAVING YOUR HOME.
100% online virtual classroom learning which you can get at no cost!
Z K, Software Tester Trainee
Carla, Coding Trainee
Francesca, Data Analysis Trainee
Sandra, Coding Trainee
William, Data Analysis Trainee
George, Software Tester Trainee
Justin, Coding Trainee
ABOUT OUR FRONT-END DEVELOPMENT BOOTCAMP
This course will provide you with the breadth of knowledge and basic Front-End Development skills.
Whether you want to kickstart your career as a coder or future-proof your skillset to improve your performance at the current role, our course is a perfect learning journey that will open you the doors to the world of coding.
Best part? Coding is a great fun. Why not to enjoy learning something new, especially when you can meet other people who share the same passion, gain hands-on experience and tips from our field expert and tutors and develop your soft skills as much as technical ones.
And remember: don’t worry about combining learning with your busy schedule. Our course is completely virtual, with recorded sessions giving you a flexibility to catch up with them another day.
What will you master as a Front-end Development Trainee:
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is the code that is used to structure a web page and its content. For example, content could be structured within a set of paragraphs, a list of bulleted points, or using images and data tables.
Cascading Style Sheets is a style sheet language used for describing the presentation of a document written in a markup language such as HTML.
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system written in PHP and paired with a MySQL or MariaDB database. Features include a plugin architecture and a template system, referred to within WordPress as Themes
Wondering how much we can teach you in 5 weeks?
Check this presentation from our previous Software Development Bootcamp here.
Who is the bootcamp for?
This Bootcamp is open for aspiring front-end developers and those who want to kick-off their career in tech.
Participants must be aged 19+, be based in West Midlands (specific areas) and Thames Valley Berkshire and meet relevant residency and eligibility criteria.
IS FRONT-END DEVELOPMENT RIGHT FOR ME?
WHAT IS CODING?
Custom software development is the process of designing, creating, deploying and maintaining software for a specific set of users, functions or organizations. Software development requires creative skills, great attention to detail, problem-solving and time-management skills.
WHAT SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS DO?
Software developers develop computer applications that allow users to perform specific tasks on computers or other devices. They may also develop or customize existing systems that run devices or control networks. Daily tasks include such duties as researching, designing and implementing software programs, testing and identifying risks, and working closely with the rest of a team.
CAREER INSIGHTS AND SALARY EXPECTATIONS
Entry level positions with less than 1-year experience can earn an average of £25,000. More experienced Software Developers earn £42,000 on average across UK . High level positions can earn even £80,000 per annum.
WHY TO BECOME A SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT TRAINEE?
The demand for software developers highly increased in recent years and it doesn’t seem it will slow down. There are at the present time more job openings for IT related positions than people with the right skills. By becoming a software developer trainee, you’ll gain the basics of coding and learn how to use logical thinking and creative process in every new feature or fix.
YOU SHOULD TRY CODING IF…
- you want a better paid job
- want to be able to work flexibly
- have a secure job that will always be in a high demand & a solid career path
- you’re tired of your current job and considering joining the gig economy (build something & sell it to the world)
- you’re creative and enjoy creating new things
- you have passion for IT and want to change the world!
- you like to learn
DID YOU KNOW THAT...
Careers in software engineering are growing at a rapid pace – 17% over the next 10 years to be exact. This number could jump even higher as more people become concerned about computer security and require software to protect their information.
WHY PURPLE BEARD?
We are Purple Beard, an EdTech company on a mission to disrupt the tech sector with challenging, engaging and highly selective learning experiences that are developed and led by industry experts to create employable tech talent and bridge the diversity gap in the tech sector.
At our core we aim to use training models that support individual needs and challenge the older models of education through Government funded programs. Our aim is to make tech education accessible and affordable using a range of technologies and modalities to deliver learning.
Contact us or request a callback
and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.